Special Enrollment Period: Michigan Emergency Declaration – Severe Flooding
Please be advised that a state of emergency was declared, impacting individuals in certain Michigan counties. This declaration allows for a one-time Special Enrollment Period (SEP), in the event beneficiaries were unable to make an election during another qualifying election period. Please reference the following guidelines for the incident period. This SEP applies to the impacted counties in Michigan listed below.
Important Compliance Information
Who is Eligible:
This SEP opportunity is ONLY available to beneficiaries who:
- Reside, or resided at the start of the SEP eligibility period described in this guidance, in an area for which a federal, state or local government entity has declared a disaster or other emergency or they do not reside in an affected area but rely on help making healthcare decisions from one or more individuals who reside in an affected area; and
- Were eligible for another election period at the time of the SEP eligibility period, and;
- Did not make an election during that other valid election period due to the disaster or other emergency.
Impacted County: Wayne
Incident Period: The incident period occurred on June 25, 2021. The declaration was announced on June 25, 2021.
Timeframe: Effective immediately, individuals meeting the requirements listed above can enroll, dis-enroll, or switch MAPD plans until August 31, 2021.
*Note: Eligible enrollments will be effective the first of the month after the application has been processed.
Agents can accept/submit an application by the beneficiary’s request through the following steps:
- Obtain a compliant Consent to Contact (C2C).
- Capture a compliant Scope of Appointment (SOA).
- Host a compliant 1:1 appointment.
- If the beneficiary is prepared to enroll, complete an application noting this SEP
- Online application: page 1
- Paper application: page 6
- Either select option 18 indicating a natural disaster OR option 19 and write “Severe Weather” – WARNING! Only select one election type
CMS and Centene will continue to monitor the circumstances in the affected areas and will communicate any changes, if necessary.
This is neither legal nor accounting advice. If you have questions, please consult a lawyer or accountant. The information included in this post was provided by the entity referenced herein.